Friday, October 28, 2011

London Broil with Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Well, it's Friday night and I wanted steak for dinner.  Problem is, the only thing I had on hand was a London Broil.  Which I've learned isn't technically a piece of meat, but a way in which to cook it.  Quickly seared, leaving the middle a nice medium rare.  Sooooooo, I decided to go with it.  I had just read an article on a friend's Facebook  page about salting and resting your steak prior to cooking it.  (Click Here to read the article, so interesting!) I figured I give it a try.  What a good idea!  It came out moist and more flavorful than usual.  I generously salted it and let it rest in the fridge for about two hours.  I gave it a good rinse, dried it off with a cloth, then seasoned appropriately.   Then I seared it on the grill outside for about 5 minutes a side with the burners at a medium high.  


While the steak was cooking, I simply coated some brussel sprouts in olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper and roasted in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  Halfway through, I tossed them to make sure to brown both sides.  Very simple yet very effective.  Tastes great!  Not sure why people shy away from the sprouts.  
Before roasting

After.  Love the caramelization 
I am ashamed to admit that I always, no matter how good the steak, like a condiment to go along with it.  Tonight I just made a quick sauce with what I had on hand.  It goes like this:

1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup mayo
2 garlic cloves, grated (preferably with a micro-plane)
pinch chipotle pepper 
pinch salt
pinch pepper
olive oil

All you do is mix the ingredients, leaving the olive oil for last.  Slowly whisk in olive oil until it reaches a consistency that you like.  For me, it was about another 1/4 cup.  Drizzle over steak and enjoy!!!!  





1 comment:

  1. I'll eat the meat, but I've never had brussel sprouts ever. I need to learn how to cook a london broil, because I could live on it. I only eat it when I visit my mom who used to make it constantly when I was a kid . . so I did live off of it before haha.

    ReplyDelete