Monday, October 24, 2011

Garlicky Potato Cabbage Bean Soup with Quick Garlicky-Parm Croutons

I hate waste, therefore, I always want to use all of the things in my fridge and pantry.  For example, after making that Simple Slaw recipe for my pulled pork sandwiches, I had 1/2 of a cabbage just sitting in the fridge.  The first thing that came to mind was soup.  Soup is always a good way to use up those few potatoes, onions and whatever else you have sitting around.  This one is extra garlicky, just the way I like it.  If you don't like a lot of garlic, then just use one or two cloves.  As you can see, I also added in pinto beans.  They are a perfect add in for soups and stews.  They add protein and fiber!  This is an extremely healthy and filling soup.  


Garlicky Potato Cabbage Bean Soup

Olive oil
1/2 head green cabbage
1 yellow onion
4 medium red potatoes
5 cloves garlic
2 1/2 cups COOKED pinto beans (if you have canned on hand, add two cans of either kidney, white or pinto)
2 boxes kitchen basics chicken stock
Kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
2 bay leaves



Chop onion and potatoes into small cubes and add to a medium bowl.

Chop cabbage into small pieces and leave on cutting board.

Finely chop garlic cloves and leave on cutting board.

Put large soup pot over a low flame and add a drizzle of olive oil to coat bottom of pot.
Add potatoes and onion and cook over low to medium low flame, stirring intermittently, for approximately 5 to 10 minutes.  Add a pinch of black pepper.









Before adding cabbage, make sure onions are translucent and potatoes are beginning to become tender.  You should also see those nice brown bits on the bottom of the pot.









Add the cabbage and cook until wilted.  Add garlic and cook for an additional two minutes stirring constantly so garlic doesn't burn.





Add the chicken stock.  SCRAPE the bottom of the pan to release all of those "brown bits" into the soup.  Those add so much flavor.  Then add bay leaves and allow to simmer for at least an hour to allow flavors to mingle.  Make sure to taste it at this point and add salt or pepper if you feel it needs it.


REMOVE the bay leaves from the pot and run a stick blender through the soup until smooth. If you don't have a stick blender, just pour into a blender, blend and then add back to the pot.

Quick Garlicky-Parm Croutons
Those dreaded end pieces of whatever loaf of bread you have on hand (the rye we had worked so very well).  Chop them up and add it to a skillet with butter, garlic powder and pepper.  Saute until golden brown and add finely grated parmesan cheese at the end.  Continue to saute for one more minute.

To finish, add freshly grated parmesan cheese and the Quick Garlicky-Parm croutons.   Sooo good.

 ENJOY!







2 comments:

  1. Missy, I love your blog! It's so nice to have recipes from someone that you know (I hate making something I read on the internet because I'm nervous it may not come out right).. also it gives me ideas for dinner! I made the this soup yesterday with crusty garlic bread, and the coleslaw with bbq pulled chicken tonight... and the soup and the coleslaw were soooo good! :) Looking forwarding to your next recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Keri!!!! I was wondering if anyone was actually making any of these recipes. lol I will try my best to keep sharing my favorites. =) I just got home after having my power out so it may be a few days until I get my cooking/baking groove back....

    Again, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete