Friday, October 21, 2011

Easy Turkey Chili

As promised,  here are the recipes for turkey chili and pumpkin cookies.  Let's begin with the chili.  I've been a huge chili fan since my first taste.  I appreciate all different kinds.  Spicy, sweet, just beans, cheesy, etc.  You get my point.  When I first began making chili, I used to cook it for a few hours in order for the flavors to mingle.  Nowadays,  I don't have that time!  You can make this in about 30 minutes and it tastes like you cooked it for hours.  This chili ends up being just slightly sweet.  If you prefer no sweetness, then just add another can of black beans rather than the baked beans.  If you are wondering this is one of my concoctions.

Easy Turkey Chili

1 chopped red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb Ground turkey
1 can of baked beans
2 cans of black beans rinsed and drained
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 can of tomato sauce
1 beer
1/2 bag frozen corn (I always use Whole Foods Organic, I swear it tastes the best!)
A little dollop of your favorite BBQ sauce (don't knock it til' you try it)

Spices
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chipotle pepper (this is really spicy, so if you don't like heat, just add a pinch)
2 teaspoons paprika
heavy pinch kosher salt (food needs salt, it's how you bring out the flavor)


  • Begin by sauteing the onions until slightly translucent, add garlic and continue to cook until softened.  
  • Add your spices and cook for another 2 minutes.  
  • Add your turkey meat and continue to cook until meat is browned.
  • All you have left to do is throw in the rest of the goods and let it sit for a little while.  Make you sure you taste and adjust your seasonings to your liking.  
My only other advice is to taste as you go.  If you don't feel like there is enough cumin, add more.  If you think that it may be too thick, add more tomato sauce or some more beer.  Don't be afraid to improvise.  That is the way I cook.  I never, ever, ever follow a recipe verbatim.  

To serve, add to favorite chili bowl and add cheese!  


2 comments:

  1. ahh. I might have to try making those cookies. The chili bowl looks really delicious too. I am not much for chili but Rob is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must try the cookies! Every time I make them people seem to love them. They are perfect for this time of year. The chili is wonderful too. Really fast, easy and inexpensive! =) Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete