Saturday, October 22, 2011

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork and Simple Slaw

In my opinion, crock pots were invented in order to make pulled pork.  I was always intimidated to make this dish but after making it for my first time a few weeks ago I have had to keep myself from making every week.  No, it's not exactly healthy but boy is it good.  AND so easy.

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

1 5 to 6 lb Pork Butt (and no, it's not actual pig butt.  It comes from the pig's shoulder)
1 box of Beef Stock (I always use Kitchen Basics. My go to stock for everything)
2 12 ounce bottles of your favorite dark soda (you can use coke, pepsi, but root beer is my favorite)
1 12 ounce bottle of your favorite beer
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon chili powder
fresh cracked black pepper, to your liking
heavy pinch of kosher salt
FAVORITE BBQ sauce

All you need to do is throw all of this (EXCEPT the BBQ sauce) into a crock pot and cook on slow for 8 hours.  At this point, check the meat.  It should fall apart when pulled at with a fork.   If not, allow to cook for a little longer and check at 20 minute intervals.

Drain the cooking fluid and pull apart pork with two forks.

Add your favorite BBQ sauce and let sit on warm for approximately 15 minutes (if you can wait that long)

Simple Slaw

This was something I would always purchase at the deli counter at the supermarket.  Then I tried to make it.  I will never again waste my money.  An easy side dish.

1/2 head green cabbage
1 to 2 carrots (if really large, one will suffice)
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
fresh cracked black pepper
pinch of kosher salt

Thinly slice cabbage and red onion and add to medium bowl.  Finely grate carrot and add to bowl.  Whisk dressing ingredients together in separate bowl.  Add dressing to veggies and let sit for at least an hour.  You can top your sandwich with the slaw, or eat on the side.  Whatever your preference!

FYI:  If you are serving a larger party, just double the slaw recipe.

MMMMMMMMMM.  I could honestly eat two of these.  =)


2 comments:

  1. looks good. I have a big slow cooker that I've used maybe 2 times. I always hate the waiting. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I used to feel the same way about waiting. Now I just throw it together in the morning and it's ready in time for dinner. All I have to do is eat! =)

    ReplyDelete