Monday, November 7, 2011

Thai Inspired Chicken and Rice Noodles with PEANUT SAUCE

This sauce, I could eat by itself.   I LOVE IT!  For this recipe, I pan sear chicken and add a little sauce before cooking it, until completely done, in the oven.  But don't limit yourself to just chicken...You can use the sauce as a dipping sauce for Thai chicken rolls (that recipe coming soon) or even beef, pork or chicken satay .  Even more simple, why not just add the sauce to some rice noodles for an easy, quick dinner.  Garnish with grated carrots, chopped scallions and cabbage and you have a healthy, light, and satisfying meal. 

Veggies can be so pretty

Very good just like this!!!

Bowl or plate will work =)

Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (I used Whole Foods which had no sugar in it)
3-5 tablespoons soy sauce depending on how salty you like it
3 tsp hoisin sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 lime, juiced
4-6 tablespoons sugar (Or less if you use regular peanut butter that is sweetened, check as you add it to make sure you don't over sweeten)
1 clove garlic, grated
1 small chunk of ginger, grated (probably about 1 to 2 tsp)
1 green onion, diced
Pinch of red pepper flake or cayenne pepper (I used more cause I like lots of heat)

Combine and let rest so the ingredients can mix and do their thing.

Pan-seared Chicken Thighs

For this recipe I use skin on, bone in chicken thighs because I love their flavor.  I just sprinkled on some kosher salt, red pepper flake, garlic powder and onion powder to taste (I am not always big on measurements!) then put skin side down on a heated pan with vegetable oil in it.  After browning the one side for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, turn them and add some peanut sauce, enough to coat the skin side.   Then place in it the oven, preheated to 350 degrees.  Let them cook for around 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the thighs.

While the chicken is cooking in the oven,  boil some water and add some rice noodles.  They cook in about 8-10 minutes.  Make sure to follow the directions on the package.

To put it together, add noodles and a small bunch of thinly sliced purple cabbage to a bowl and pour some peanut sauce over  same.  I then add the chicken thigh and then add more sauce and garnish with some green onion.   That's it!  Let's hope you have some peanut sauce leftover for those extra rice or soba noodles you have hanging around.   =)  






2 comments:

  1. oh goodness I never heard of hoison sauce. where would I find that? what type of aisle is that usually in? I love this, but I don't think I'd be able to eat it because Micah is allergic to peanuts, but perhaps I could make it and just not give him any hehe. You are a great cook and I haven't even tasted your food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can most likely find it at your regular supermarket in the asian food section. I have found it in every store I've been in. =) I'm not sure I'd say great, but I am passionate! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete