Monday, February 20, 2012

Asian Inspired Chicken Noodle Soup

I always love a good chicken soup but I was craving something a little out of the ordinary.  This hit the spot.  A broth that I could literally drink from a cup with thin rice noodles, chicken and some veggies.  Hope you give this a try, totally worth it.

























Adapted from Kathleen Daelemans's Asian Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
Ingredients:
4-5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2-4 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic, either micro-planed or minced very finely
1, 1 to 2 inch piece of peeled ginger, micro-planed or minced very finely
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 carrots, shredded
1 container of button mushrooms, shitake would be great too
1 stalk celery, cut thinly
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (great for rotisserie left-overs)
Half box rice noodles
3 scallions, chopped

Directions:
In a small bowl mix the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, fish sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Don't be afraid to taste it and adjust to your liking!  That's why most measurements have the dash.  You need to taste in order to pick your salty~sweet~heat levels. 
In a soup pot, heat a little olive oil and add carrots, mushrooms and celery and let cook on a medium-low flame for about 8 minutes.
Add in the chicken broth and water and then add sauce mixture.  Throw in the chicken.  Allow to simmer on low for about 10 minutes.  While that is simmering, cook your rice noodles according to the box directions. 
Once the noodles are ready, add to your favorite soup bowl (i then cut the noodles, cause I stink at eating any noodle longer than an inch, lol)  then add the soup and top with the chopped scallions.  













Perfect.  Don't be surprised when you find yourself drinking the broth right from the bowl. 


I took this picture because I wanted to share with you how I store my ginger.
After watching Melissa D'Arabian on the food network, she mentioned to peel and freeze ginger.
I was dumbfounded because I should have thought of that.  I always end up chucking some if I don't
get a chance to use it all.... Maybe you will find this helpful!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment