Friday, March 2, 2012

Farfalle with Broccoli Rabe Pesto and Sausage

EAT ME!  












I could eat this for days...
I'm not sure how much my husband would appreciate the garlic smell for more than one night but this is so addicting.  Really easy and pretty quick to make.

Ingredients:

I large bunch broccoli rabe
3-5 cloves of garlic (feel free to add one or two if you don't absolutely looooove garlic)
1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts  (if there is a nut allergy, you can cut out then nuts but will have to add some
more olive oil to make up for the missing fat)
1/4 to 1/2 cup parmesan (taste as you go, as I always say)
1-3 teaspoons kosher salt
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
olive oil, enough to drizzle in food processor until your preferred texture is reached.  Mine took about 2 tablespoons
1 box farfalle (any pasta will do)
8 sausage, mix of hot and sweet is my favorite
Extra parmesan for the top

Directions:

Take a large pasta pot and boil water, add a healthy pinch of kosher salt.  While the water is getting hot, cut up your sausage and begin to brown in another pan.  Once browned add to a 325 degree oven to cook through.
On its way to browning
After rinsing broccoli rabe, chop off about 2 inches of the stem.  Add to boiling water and allow to cook for about two minutes.  Remove and rinse with cold water.  Drain.  Set aside.




In your food processor, add walnuts, cheese and garlic.  Pulse until sandy.

















Add broccoli rabe to food processor and pulse until everything is combines and uniform.  I would taste it now to see how much salt you would like to add.  Add salt and pepper.  Drizzle in olive oil while machine is running until preferred texture is reached.  I like mine a little thick so I can use it as a spread as well as for my pasta.  (This makes a lot so you can refrigerate or freeze for another day).
This was so quick and easy I forgot to take a picture once it was all combined...
silly me!

In the same pot you made your broccoli rabe, add the pasta.  Cook until al dente.  Once ready, add to another bowl and mix with however much pesto you desire.  I like a lot, my hubby a little less.  Top with your sausage that has been waiting patiently in the oven and shred some fresh parm on the top.  Ready to be devoured.

No comments:

Post a Comment