Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spiced Pineapple Upside Down Cake

A nice ripe pineapple was sitting on my shelf and I knew if I didn't use it right away I would end up wasting it.  Sooooooo, I figured I could use the pineapple and try baking something new.  Pineapple Upside Down Cake was the first thing that came to mind.  This is my first go at it and I must admit, it did not disappoint.   It is a rich, dense cake with a caramel-y, spiced pineapple topping.  Addicting really.  It tastes the best when it's still slightly warm.  Not hard at all and doesn't call for too many ingredients so there is no excuse not to try it, unless of course, you dislike pineapple.

Recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Smells as wonderful as it looks and tastes.  So worth making!

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/2 medium pineapple, chopped into 1/2 inch slices.  REMOVE core
3/4 stick salted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (I didn't have brown sugar, but I had sugar and molasses...which is what brown sugar is, so I just added about a teaspoon of molasses)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Batter:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons buttermilk powder*
3/4 stick salted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon rum (I used Captain Morgan...it's what I had, lol)
1/2 cup water

Now most of the recipes call for a cast iron skillet... I don't have one so I just used a 9.5 inch pyrex pie plate.  Worked awesome.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Topping Directions:

Plop the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice into a sauce pan.  Cook on medium-low heat for about 4 minutes until bubbly.  Pour into your greased pyrex dish.

already looking really healthy, lol
I could have just eaten this part










Add pineapple, overlapping slightly as you go. 



Batter Directions:

Sift the flour, baking powder and buttermilk powder together and set aside.  Cream the butter and sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy.  Add in the two eggs and mix for an additional minute.  Add in rum and vanilla while mixer is on low.  Alternately add in the flour and water, beginning and ending with flour.

Pour the batter over the pineapple, being sure to evenly cover.  The batter is thick, so don't just dump it in the middle.  Even it out and it's ready for the oven.







Crispy, caramel-y edges of goodness.  Making me
want to go get another piece.....


Bake for about 45 minutes, until browned.  Take out and allow to cool for about 8 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge and then place a plate on top of the pyrex dish and turn over.  Tap the dish and it should all come out nicely.  (An added benefit of a clear pyrex dish is that you can see the cake release from the pan so you know you can remove the baking dish without removing half your cake along with it.)




Serve slightly warm.  Ooooooh Soooooooo Gooooooood!

Right after removing from dish.  I was impressed. lol



*Most recipes call for 1/2 cup pineapple juice.  I missed that part but wasn't about to forgo cake-y goodness just because of a little missing juice.  I just improvised and it tasted awesome anyway.  Also, most recipes call for 2 tablespoons of rum to be sprinkled over the cake after turning it out.  You may add that, but I didn't cause I wanted my son to enjoy the cake too.  =)



No comments:

Post a Comment