Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Spicy Turkey Lentil Loaf

It's been almost 4 months since my last post!  How I have missed blogging!  I haven't had much time to think, let alone blog with my 2 1/2 month old baby girl and 2 year old guy keeping me busy.  My girl is finally getting into a bit of a schedule so I had a few minutes to myself to blog.

I will start by stating, I love meatloaf.  It's easy and makes the best leftover sandwiches.  Usually I make it with beef but wanted a healthier alternative without missing out on the flavor.  This recipe does not disappoint.  Even my 2 year old ate two big slices.  Try this the next time the meatloaf craving comes your way.

Ingredients:

Spicy Turkey Lentil Loaf

1 yellow onion
1 shallot
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (can omit if you do not have)
1/2 teaspoon smoked chipotle pepper (or cayenne pepper)
salt to taste
1 package ground turkey (I used Shadybrook 1.3 pound package)
1 cup cooked lentils
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup barbecue sauce
3/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil

Glaze:
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup

Sauce: strictly eyeballed this
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
shot of hot sauce

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook your lentils according to the package in order to produce one cooked cup.  (I add salt to the water in order to flavor the lentils).
Uncooked lentils in this pic.  They are so pretty!
Preheat skillet over medium flame and add a good swirl of olive oil.  Chop onion, shallot and garlic.  Add onion and shallot to the skillet and cook until softened.  Add garlic and stir.  Add spices and mix thoroughly.  Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl add turkey meat, cooked lentils, cooked onion/garlic/spice mixture, ketchup, barbecue sauce, breadcrumbs, egg, milk and olive oil.  Mix with hands for best distribution of ingredients.


 Split in half and make 2 loaves.  Place on parchment paper and cover with glaze.  Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. 



















Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes then slice and enjoy!!!  

Crispy burnt glaze around the edge.  My favorite!






2 comments:

  1. I never heard of ground turkey. This meatloaf looks really good! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be right in the meat department at your supermarket. =) I love it. I replace a lot of my beef recipes with the turkey. You should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete