Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Haven't made muffins for a bit and I was craving some warm blueberry muffins.  As per usual during my little guys nap, I went searching for a new recipe.  I found a few that included chocolate chips and I thought that they would probably be a bit too much but then again, chocolate in any baked good makes me happy.  So I fiddled with a few different recipes and these were the result.  They are a little healthier than the average muffin due to using some whole wheat flour, wheat germ, olive oil and honey.  They were perfect with my morning cup of joe, and for an afternoon snack and for an after dinner treat....you get my point!





















Ingredients: (Makes about 18 muffins)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 wheat germ

2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
2/3 cup olive oil (vegetable would work too)
2/3 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup blueberries (I used organic frozen)



Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line your muffin tin with liners...(see my favorite liners below)
Add flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to a medium bowl and whisk together until combined. 
Add the sugar, olive oil, milk, eggs, honey and vanilla to your mixer and blend until well combined. 

Fold in the chocolate chips, then the blueberries.  If you use frozen, you need to be gentle unless you want all your batter to turn purple.  Pour, about 3/4's of the way, into muffin pan lined with cupcake liners. 
LOOOOOOVE these!  Nothing sticks!



For topping:
4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix together and sprinkle over batter. 
Place into preheated oven and bake for about 13-15 minutes.  Keep a check on yours as every oven is a little different.  Let cool on rack and then enjoy!  
Taste and smell sooooooo darn good.  



















No comments:

Post a Comment