Sunday, July 1, 2012

Farfalle with Sauteed Eggplant, Haricot Verts and Kalamata Olive Tapenade

So my family and I journeyed to a local farmers market this morning.  I asked myself repeatedly why I have really never visited one before this.  It was a wonderful experience.  I bought some wonderful honey, home-made jams and of course some local, organic produce.  Not to mention, I felt like I was stealing because the prices were great!  I have a feeling we will be visiting until they close in late fall.  When I got home I realized I didn't have any ideas for dinner.  I did know I wanted to use the fresh vegetables I just purchased.  I stared at the organic string beans and eggplant and was stumped.  Then I remembered I just saw an episode of Giada's show on Food Network where she sauteed eggplant and served it with pasta.  Then I looked up recipes for green beans and spotted one where they simply blanched the beans and tossed with an olive tapenade.  VOILA!  My brain said mix those two recipes and you have dinner.  Boy was it worth it!  Only problem?  I could keep eating it and eating it and eating it.....

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.













































Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/2 cup Kalamata Olive Tapenade (find my recipe here, Kalamata Olive Tapenade)
1/2 Box farfalle pasta (I LOOOOVE Barilla Plus)
2 baby eggplant
1/2 pound haricot verts (string beans, lol)
Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt

Directions:

Add water to your pasta pot and to a medium sized sauce pan, add a heavy pinch of kosher salt to both and heat over medium high flames.  While those are heating up...
Chop your eggplants to bite sized chunks.  Add to a preheated saute pan drizzled with a healthy amount of extra virgin olive oil.  Add kosher salt to taste and black pepper.  Allow to saute, turning often, until caramelized.  Keep adding olive oil when you return to the pan to turn because eggplants tend to soak it all up.  You don't want them to stick too much.
Once your water is ready in the sauce pan, add the string beans to a strainer and place in boiling water for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until vibrantly green.  Remove from water and immediately run under cold water.  Place aside.
Add pasta to your boiling, salted water and allow to cook until preferred doneness is reached.
Throw everything into a large bowl and toss with desired amount of tapenade.  Make sure to taste as you go.  Add some parmesan cheese and you have a wonderful, healthy pasta dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment