Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ducle de Leche Pumpkin Cheesecake

So I wanted to try something a bit different this year for one of my Thanksgiving desserts.  Not many people in my family enjoy pumpkin pie and those that do, love cheesecake too.  So I figured I'd join the two.  I am so glad I did and I know they were too.  If you are trying to come up with something unique for a Christmas dessert, this will not disappoint! 
want. it. now.
Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cheesecake:
1 1/2 cups solid-pack pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons greek yogurt or heavy cream
2 tablespoons dulce de leche
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 8 ounce packages of really soft cream cheese

Click here for Dulce de Leche recipe or purchase some pre-made in your grocery store.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have a rack placed in the middle of the oven.

Lightly grease your 9 inch spring-from pan with butter.  In a separate bowl mix together the crumbs butter and sugar.  Press crumbs into the bottom and up a bit on the sides of the pan.  Chill in freezer while preparing cheesecake mixture.
Whisk together pumpkin, eggs, 1/2 cup of the sugar, yogurt or cream, dulce de leche and vanilla until combined.  Set aside.
In the bowl of your mixer add the other 3/4 cup of sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.  Add in softened cream cheese and beat on medium/high speed until creamy and smooth.  Next pour in pumpkin and beat until fully incorporated. 
Place your prepared spring-from pan onto a foil covered baking sheet with a rim (in case it leeks), pour in filling and place into oven.  
Bake for 55 to 65 minutes until the center is just set.  Turn off oven and leave in oven to cool slowly for about 3 hours.  If you remove too soon (like me) you end up with a big crack (like me). SO DON'T BE IMPATIENT.  And if it so happens to crack, who cares.  You top it with the ducle de leche and then you can always add some whipped cream.  It's so darn good, no one will care how it looks.  =)

To top just take 3/4 cup of your prepared dulce de leche, heat in microwave until spreadable and spread evenly over your cooled cheesecake.  MMMMMMmmmmm good. 
I was SOOO upset but what can you do.  It's taste made up for its
ugliness. =)
unreal good. 






my son all ready for Turkey Day
he loved this cheesecake

my little lady in her comfy Turkey Day outfit.  







No comments:

Post a Comment