Thursday, July 31, 2014

Roasted Beet Hummus

This time of year you can buy beets in bulk at my local farmers market.  I always grab more than I can possibly use and sometimes they get lost way, way back there in my fridge.  I have been promising myself to waste the least amount of food possible and this is the perfect way to use up the left over roasted beets you made for dinner the night before. Not to mention that my kids were so intrigued by the bright pink (dare I say beautiful) hue of the hummus.  They liked it and probably would have eaten more if I roasted the garlic that I included, this is always an option as it makes the garlic sweeter, but for me raw garlic it is.

Roasted Beet Hummus

2 cans of chick peas drained and rinsed
1/2 cup roasted beets (this is approximate and a little more or less will not hurt it)
Juice of 1 lemon or 2 if you love lemons
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
Heavy pinch kosher salt



Place all of the ingredients except the liquids in your blender or food processor.  Begin to pulse and then slowly poor the liquids in.  You will see it come together quickly. 


I looooove my Vitamix.  So worth every penny. 


Just keep blending until your preferred texture is reached.  I always taste as I go as well.  If you want more salt, add it.  More spice, add it.  The only way to make food you absolutely love is to make sure you taste as you go and to NOT BE AFRAID to change it to your liking.  

If you find yours is having a little bit of a hard time blending, as all blenders and food processors are different, just add water little by little until smooth.


Simple.  Now enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment