Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spinach Pesto Meatballs

I love spinach but tend to only eat it one way, sautéed with lots of garlic.  While that is still one of my favorite ways to eat it I tried to be a little more creative last night.  So I came up with spinach pesto meatballs.  Really easy to make and really good for you too!  My son even liked them!  I do have one warning....they aren't pretty.  LOL
Green meatballs!  Although ugly, they are very tasty!!! 
1/2 bag frozen spinach, defrosted and DRAINED (make sure you drain it of its liquid or else you will have soup, not meatballs)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
8 to 10 crackers crumbled or about 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Heavy pinch or 2 of Kosher salt  (No salt = no flavor, in my opinion!)
3/4 to 1 pound ground beef

Throw the spinach, garlic, onion, crackers or breadcrumbs, parmesan, hot pepper flakes and generous sprinkle of kosher salt into your food processor.  
Pulse until combined.  
I almost forgot the pepper flakes!!!
Add ground beef and pulse until mixed.  The mixture will be on the softer side.  Roll in your hands and throw into an oven-safe pan, brown one side of the meatball (make sure you let them brown all the way... If you try and lift them before they're ready, they will stick!)  flip the meatballs and then throw in the oven for about 20 minutes.  
I added a little parmesan before the trip into the oven.
 I love crunchy cheese.

Add to your favorite pasta (I used whole wheat) and sauce and you have a quick and healthy meal.  Don't forget to top with more parmesan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment