Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes

I wanted veggie burgers but didn't have any in the house so I looked around to see what I did have.  Turned out I had two gigantic organic sweet potatoes and some quinoa.  I wasn't sure I would find any recipes if I googled the two, but I was proven wrong.   And I was so glad I did!  I found this recipe on another blog.  I adapted the recipe slightly due to the ingredients I had on hand.  These were fantastic.  AND both my Hubs and little one loved them.  Not to hard to make especially if you already have some leftover quinoa or sweet potatoes... I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!

Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes
Adapted from the Blog, How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:




1 onion, white or red
2 sweet potatoes; roasted and peeled
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 to 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 to 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley (fresh, if you only have dried, use 1 teaspoon)
1/2 tablespoon chopped oregano (only use if you have fresh)
1/2 to 1teaspoon dried chipotle powder (this is hot so if you don't want it spicy, don't add it)
Kosher salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste


Directions:

In a large skillet, add chopped onion to some olive oil and cook until translucent.  About 5 to 7 minutes.
In a large bowl, add the potatoes, quinoa, bread crumbs, parmesan, hebs and spices.  Mix well with a large fork.  (If mixture appears to wet, add more breadcrumbs.  That is why the amount varies in the ingredients).  Add cooked onions and mix.  Add lightly beaten egg and mix.  




Ready to be mixed!!  
Form patties and place on a separate dish.  In the same skillet you cooked your onions in, add more olive oil and let come to a medium heat.  Add patties and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side.  They should be nicely browned.

Sauce:

2 tablespoons molasses
2 heaping tablespoons raspberry preserves
2 tablespoons brown mustard

Mix together and you have yummy sauce!












No comments:

Post a Comment