Monday, May 14, 2012

Banana Cupcakes with Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting


Okay, I know I just posted a recipe with bananas buuuuuuut I still had a few left.  I decided on cupcakes for Mother's Day and figured I would give these a try.  So glad I did.  The cake was light, moist and not too sweet.  The frosting, I could eat with a spoon or even a finger.  =)  You won't regret making these (except that might eat them all yourself). 
Recipe is adapted from the website; A Dash of Sass 
 Banana Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting



Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon olive oil (NOT extra virgin)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
3 medium bananans, smashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin pans (makes 24 cupcakes) with liners.   Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl and set aside.
Combine the smashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla into another bowl, set aside. 
In your mixer put the butter, olive oil and sugar.  
Cream until light and fluffy.  Add the 2 eggs and mix on medium until nicely combined.  
Alternate adding the flour mixture and banana-sour cream mixture to the mixer.  Mix on low until well combined and make sure to scrape bowl with spatula in between to make sure all ingredients are mixed properly. 
Scoop into the awaiting cupcake pan.  About 3/4 of the way in each.
Throw into oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes.  Mine were ready after 16.  Check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.  

Frosting Ingredients: 
1 8oz block cream cheese
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 32 oz bag confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream

So while you cupcakes are baking, make your frosting.
To the mixer add the soft butter and cream cheese and mix until blended.  Slowly add sugar and mix in between each addition ON LOW, so it doesn't go all over the place.  Add your cinnamon, allspice, vanilla and salt.  Mix in the sour cream until your preferred texture is reached.  I really dislike runny frosting because I pipe, not spread the frosting.  (I cheat and use a ziploc gallon bag.  I hate cleaning a piping bag and always misplace those pipping tip fasteners.  I cut a small hole in one corner of the bag and snuggly place the top 1/4, just past the prongs, through the hole.  I then fold the bag over my hand, fill, shake down towards the tip to help get rid of air bubbles and then go to town!)   If you don't pipe your frosting and you like it really gooey, then just add more sour cream and spread it on with a spatula.
Depending on how heavily you frost your cupcakes, you may have some left over.  I just placed mine in the fridge and saved for some apple-spice cake bars. 
MMMMM frosting...












My favorite tip for frosting cupcakes



My hubby was nice enough to model the
frosting for me. 







2 comments:

  1. Yum! These sound delicious! I joined your blog. Come over and check out mine! www.fridaynightwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jocelyn! I will check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete